Love Dog Adventures is the Nevada Community Partner Affiliate program of the national therapy organization Pet Partners. This means that all of our volunteer handlers and animals have been trained, tested and insured by Pet Partners (www.petpartners.org).
The path to becoming a Pet Partner and member of the Love Dog Adventures team begins with understanding your animal and becoming the best handler you can.
- Your pet must be at least one year old to be evaluated and have lived with you for at least six months.
- Your dog cannot be on a raw protein diet (http://www.deltasociety.org/rawdiet)
- Your dog cannot walk with any metal equipment such as choke, prong or electronic collars.
- Your dog should be trained with positive methods. This is to insure that you understand your dog’s behavior, signs and signals.
All animal training and the Pet Partner Handler Workshop is coordinated through Love Dog Las Vegas CanineTraining and Behavior, LLC (www.lovedoglasvegas.com)
The next available ANIMAL THERAPY COURSE AND WORKSHOP WILL BE IN OCTOBER 2015:
This Course includes:
- 5 hours of training with your dog
- 8 hours of the Required Pet Partner Handler Workshop without your animal
- Pet Partners Student Guide
- Several attempts to pass the Evaluation
- Shadow opportunities with experienced teams
- Mentoring with experienced teams
- Price $299.00 Per Handler payable to Love Dog Las Vegas, LLC
Sunday, October 4, 11, 18, 25 and November 1
- Therapy Dog Prep Class – begin your journey by training with your animal and learning positive methods for solid obedience. Location:Summerlin.
Saturday, October 17 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Pet Partner Handler Workshop – 8 hours without your animals to learn the Pet Partner / Love Dog method of handling your animal, policies and procedures and the broad variety of populations and environments we volunteer with – Workshop is held at a health facility. Demonstration dogs will be present.
If you are interested in meeting for a FREE Therapy Animal Orientation, contact Sue at 917-301-4710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Orientation will be on Sunday, August 16 at 12:00 – 1:00 pm – contact Sue for the location and to register – space is limited. To Register contact email@example.com 917-301-4710.
Here is a simple guide to begin your journey:
Five Steps to Becoming a Love Dog / Pet Partner Team
STEP 1 – Ask yourself these questions:
- Is my pet temperamentally and behaviorally reliable?
- Is my pet comfortable in a variety of settings?
- Does my pet seek out new experiences with unfamiliar people?
- Does my pet not only accept hugging and petting, but enjoy it?
- Is my pet friendly / calm and neutral around other animals?
- Do I feel confident in my ability to control my pet?
- Does my pet have basic obedience and not jump or bark?
- Am I friendly with people and comfortable in unfamiliar settings?
- Can I raise the skill level of my pet and take the time, energy and motivation to do this?
- Do I have the time to commit to a volunteer assignment?
- Do I find joy in sharing my love for my pet with others?
STEP 2 – Prepare for your Team Evaluation
- Remember this is a Team Activity so both the Animal and Handler are evaluated
- Attend a Pet Partners Handler Workshop offered through Love Dog Las Vegas, LLC and training course
STEP 3 – Schedule your Team Evaluation
- Schedule your Team Evaluation / Test with Sue Grundfest; The Evaluation consists of AAST (Skills) and AAAT (Aptitude) tests
STEP 4 – Register with Pet Partners
- Once you have passed the Evaluation, submit your signed Packet to Pet Partners and Register
STEP 5 – Volunteer!
- Volunteer with Love Dog Adventures, the only exclusive Pet Partners Team in Vegas
Is animal-assisted therapy work for you? Browse through these articles and see if you should pursue becoming a Pet Partners therapy team with your dog or cat:
When to postpone your Pet Partners evaluation
How one misunderstood dog is helping one boy
Scoring the Pet Partner evaluation
To read all of Sue’s Pet Column articles, click here
To contact Sue call 917-301-4710