The path to becoming a Pet Partner and member of the Love Dog Adventures team begins with understanding your animal and becoming the best handler you can.
- Your pet must be at least one year old to be evaluated and have lived with you for at least six months.
- Your dog cannot be on a raw protein diet (http://www.deltasociety.org/rawdiet)
- Your dog cannot walk with any metal equipment such as choke, prong or electronic collars.
- Your dog should be trained with positive methods.
This is to insure that you understand your dog’s behavior, signs and signals.
The next available Handler Workshop will be on Saturday, JANUARY 17, 2015
For the schedule, course fee and location contact Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a simple guide to begin your journey:
Five Steps to Becoming a Delta Society Pet Partner Team
STEP 1 – Ask yourself these questions:
- Is my pet temperamentally and behaviorally reliable?
- Is my pet comfortable in a variety of settings?
- Does my pet seek out new experiences with unfamiliar people?
- Does my pet not only accept hugging and petting, but enjoy it?
- Is my pet friendly / calm and neutral around other animals?
- Do I feel confident in my ability to control my pet?
- Does my pet have basic obedience and not jump or bark?
- Am I friendly with people and comfortable in unfamiliar settings?
- Can I raise the skill level of my pet and take the time, energy and motivation to do this?
- Do I have the time to commit to a volunteer assignment?
- Do I find joy in sharing my love for my pet with others?
STEP 2 – Prepare for your Team Evaluation
- Remember this is a Team Activity so both the Animal and Handler are evaluated
- Steady solid basic obedience is required so you may want to take a positive basic obedience class (Good Dog 101 – schedule at www.lovedoglasvegas.com) and then advance to the Therapy Prep Class
- Attend a Pet Partners Handler Workshop
STEP 3 – Schedule your Team Evaluation
- Schedule your Team Evaluation / Test with Sue Grundfest; The Evaluation consists of AAST (Skills) and AAAT (Aptitude) tests
STEP 4 – Register with Pet Partners
- Once you have passed the Evaluation, submit your signed Packet to Pet Partners and Register
STEP 5 – Volunteer!
- Volunteer with Love Dog Adventures, the only exclusive Pet Partners Team in Vegas
Is animal-assisted therapy work for you? Browse through these articles and see if you should pursue becoming a Delta Pet Partners therapy team with your dog, cat, pig or horse!
When to postpone your Pet Partners evaluation
How one misunderstood dog is helping one boy
Scoring the Pet Partner evaluation
To read all of Sue’s Pet Column articles, click here
To contact Sue call 917-301-4710